Monday, March 08, 2010

Oh, how fortune likes to bend us over

Here I go from a great night like I had yesterday, in which I accomplished some good writing and had a fantastic conversation with an interesting girl, to the waste that was today.

On the one hand, I had recently submitted a story to Fantasy magazine. I got the rejection email less than ten minutes ago. So there goes a fucking great wash of feelings. To be honest I'm not upset with them for rejecting the story. I think it's a great story, but if they don't think it fits their magazine that's perfectly fine. What truly upsets me is that I don't know precisely why they rejected it. Again, I can't blame them, they claim to get over five hundred submissions a month, and if that's the case I can see why they'd rather work with form letters instead of telling each and every hopeful exactly why they were turned down. Yet, understand their reasoning as I may, I'd still like to know why. What about future submissions could I do differently? Is it my wording? The content of my story? Was my cover letter so fucked they didn't even bother?

[[Two paragraphs deleted, to spare my own sense of worth upon rereading these entries at a later date. Not like it matters, I simply bitched about not getting an email. Yes, it was a non-issue, the importance of which I magnified by comparing my own lack of self worth.]]

Tomorrow night I'll try something different to get more writing done. I dunno, think of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment